Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Coupons: Suggestions for Beginners

When you’re thinking about going into couponing it can be very overwhelming. When I first started, I just stared at my beginners book, afraid to even open it. There is so much to know, but it really does become second nature quite fast. 

It became a drug... SO ADDICTING! I would come home and lay everything out for my fiancé to see and take pictures of it like some kind of a prize. Sorry, but it is! “Look at what all my effort got us! FREE STUFF!”

 And seriously, I mean free. I have so much shampoo and conditioner that I don’t have to “buy” any for YEARS. Literally. Almost three years worth of shampoo is sitting on a shelf in my basement.


Suggestions for Beginners:

1. Start collecting inserts NOW! 
And not just one paper every Sunday... multiples. Because, trust me, when the heavens align and your kids favorite cereal is on sale and you can stack coupons to make it free... you’re going to wish you had 20 of those damn coupons. 

I personally buy three, and get another set from a coworker for free, totaling in four sets each week. The number of papers you buy can depend on your family size... use your judgement. I suggest getting at least two for potential BOGO sales (we’ll get there, I promise). 

2. Learn Store Policies
This one took me a while to wrap my head around. Each store is different. Take time to learn your usual go-to stores first, test the policies out with small orders until you get used to them. Some stores double coupons, some won’t, etc. 

Some stores give you overage on your coupons (Walmart does this, FYI). Which means if you have a coupon for $2/1 shaving cream, and the shaving cream is only $1.97, they take the extra $.03 and put it toward the rest of your haul. *ahem, this is why I buy multiple Sunday papers*


3. Know how to read a coupon: Coupon Anatomy
I use For The Mommas for my coupon match ups (they tell you how sales coordinate with available coupons... and where to find the coupons/which insert they are in). They explain the anatomy of a coupon fantastically here: Coupon Anatomy. 

and most importantly...

4. Do NOT throw ANY coupons away!
Even if you don't think you'll ever need them because, "why would I buy Depends?! Ever?!" WHEN IT MAKES YOU MONEY! Yes, you can make money with coupons! This happens to me a lot at CVS with their ECB program. Sometimes, you can get a sale item for free with a coupon but then when heavens align, CVS also offers $3 ECB's and BAM! ... you just made $3 on Depends. You just made money, and now you can donate the items you don't need!

Just getting into couponing? I want to hear about it! What's most difficult for you? What stores do you go to for the best shopping hauls? Any seasoned couponers have more advice for beginners? 

No comments:

Post a Comment